IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use recommended John Deere greases to avoid component failure and premature wear.
The recommended John Deere greases are effective within an average air temperature range of -29 to 135 degrees C (-20 to 275 degrees F).
If operating outside that temperature range, contact your Servicing dealer for a special-use grease.
The following greases are preferred:
• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease
If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.
Wet or high speed conditions may require use of a special-use grease. Contact your Servicing dealer for information.
Lubricating Mower Deck Spindles
NOTE: Removal of belt shields is not necessary to lubricate the spindles.
1. Remove rubber mat and mower deck foot plate.
2. Lubricate the mower deck spindles, as indicated.
42 in. Mower Deck
• Lubricate two mower deck spindle grease fittings (A) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
48 and 54 in. Mower Decks
Picture Note: Z425 with 48 in. deck shown.
• Lubricate three mower deck spindle grease fittings (B) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
62 in. Mower Deck
• Lubricate three mower deck spindle grease fittings (C) and idler arm (D) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
Lubricating Front Lift Arm
Picture Note: Z225 42 in. deck shown.
Picture Note: Z400 series 48 in. deck shown.
Lubricate the front lift arm at the points (A) where it pivots in the mower deck bracket as needed to prevent or minimize squeaking during operation.
Lubricating Front Caster Spindles
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! To avoid injury, Do not lubricate machine while the engine is running.
• The two front caster wheel supports (A) utilize sealed bearings, which do not require lubrication. There are no grease fittings in the wheel supports.
• The caster wheel yoke spindle (B) should be lightly greased prior to assembly if the wheel unit is serviced, to prevent the spindle from seizing in the bearings.